Wednesday, August 11, 2010

VHS to DVD conversion?

I have a friend who has asked me to convert a vhs tape to dvd, I might add its a recording, not a cinematic movie, so not copyrighting violation.





I have a vhs/dvd recorder that I have not been able to use to record from one to the other so far, and all the manuals have not been open on whether I can even do that with it. I also have a tv tuner with composite run by windows vista premium's mce.





My two questions are:





A) How can I play an external dvd player/ vhs/ gaming system using mce so I can record it and....





B) Could I play the tape on channel 3 with one vhs player hooked up via coax then record channel 3 with the dvd recorder?





Any help would be appreciated, thank you!VHS to DVD conversion?
If your tuner card has a channel 3 input, or if it has audio-video jacks, you can play your DVD, game, or vcr into your computer. You DO need software to capture the video into a file, such as an avi or mpg. Several companies make the software, Ulead, Pinnacle, Dazzle, AVS Media, to mention a few.





Then using your DVD burner and burner software, such as Nero, etc, you can create a DVD from the video file.





And since you don't have manuals to do a direct transfer from VHS to DVD, yes, you can take channel 3 out of the VHS and use the channel 3 into the DVD recorder.





Last item, legally you can still do this for copyrighted movies, too. Anyone, by law, is permitted to make a backup copy for their own use, and it doesn't have to be the same technology. And it's legal for someone else to do the work, as long as the owner keeps the original and the copy. Of course, you still need the technical equipment to overcome the copy protection scheme, which sounds like you probably don't have.

No comments:

Post a Comment