Wednesday, August 11, 2010

How do folks actually USE Windows Media Center?

I have a Vista Ultimate machine, and I have an Xbox 360. I've got them talking to each other, and all that fun stuff.





What I don't have yet is a TV tuner for the computer. Assuming Santa doesn't bring me one, I would like to get one that's decent and it looks like those tend to run $100 or more.





Before I make the investment, though, I do want to have some idea of how it will really fit in to my life. I have a DVR from the cable company that works reasonably well. I have Netflix streaming to the 360, as well as to the PC and then via s-video to the TV, and using a wireless mouse to stop/start it works well enough to watch a movie.





How do folks out there use Windows Media Center, especially with a TV tuner? Has it become ';...mehh...it's kinda cool'; or is it like ';How did I ever get by without this?';





I guess for me the one application I can think of off the top is to use it as a DVR and then, via media center extenders be able to stream the recorded stuff from the bedrooms w/o having to get more DVR's from Comcast....





...so what's your Media Center experience like?





Also, what are some good tuners that will pull non-premuim digital cable? For that matter, do any of them handle CableCards in case I get frilly and actually add some premium channels to the cable?How do folks actually USE Windows Media Center?
I had a TV tuner card for my PC. It was nice because it let me watch basic cable or broadcast TV off of my computer. It worked sort of like a DVR. I was able to pause, but not rewind. I could also record shows any time, but the on screen guide didn't work as well as the DVR I had through replay TV.





Any of the tuner cards on the market should pull basic cable (up to 125 channels), however you won't get the same digital quality off of your tuner card that you get from your cable DVR box. My one regret is that I didn't spend the extra $20 for the HD tuner card so as of February 2009, it will be completely useless.





I hope that helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment